About one hour’s drive from Cortijo las Rosas, the village of Fuente de Piedra has a population of approximately 2,000 and is close to the Natural park and lake. The lake harbours the greatest colony of Greater Flamingos in Iberia during the breading season of March to July. The lake and environs is a protected wetland and natural reserve with diverse bird and plant life.
Due to the presence of the lake, it seems that man has been in this area since prehistoric times. Later, commercial links were maintained with the Phoenicians and the Carthaginians. There was also a Roman Roman presence and the lake was named “Fons Divinus” or divine spring, due to the medicinal properties of the water. In the middle of the 15th century the Moors were overthrown leading to a time of prosperity until the beginning of the 19th century, when continued drought caused a fall in the population. Now, in modern times, it is once again a thriving town in exceptionally beautiful natural surroundings.
The village itself is typically Andaluz with its whitewashed houses with wrought iron protecting the balconies. There are a few larger more impressive houses built for noblemen of the past and there is also the palace of the Marques of Fuente de Piedra, which dates back to the 19th century and is built in the neoclassic style.
The only church in the village is that of the Virgen de las Virtudes, the patron saint of the village. It was built in 1891 in the neo-mudéjar style and has an interesting main façade, with a rather gothic like stain glass window over the main entrance.
There are various village fiestas throughout the year, one of the most significant being on September 7th and 8th sees the village fair in the name of the patron saint, the Virgen de las Virtudes. There are horse races, fireworks and a very interesting array of traditional outfits worn to celebrate this annual event.